Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Ada

Lolita was lovely and Pale Fire transcendent, so when our platinum guest room customer revealed that she liked Ada so much she named her daughter after it, I figured it needed to get bumped up to the top of the list.  However, while I now better appreciate the kinkiness unexpectedly hidden beneath CV's demure exterior, I can't say that I'm especially grateful for the suggestion.  For me at least, Ada was simply too much.  I don't mean this in a moral sense of course.  I'm a goer.  Reading about a trio of insatiablly incestuous 13 year olds is all in a day's work around here.  No, I mean that the 600 page torrent of esoteric vocabulary, recondite allusions, puns in 3 different languages, fractured narration, etc ... was simply too much for me.  I sorta enjoyed the novel as an interestingly perverse love story and an examination of the rememberance, and restructuring, of things past.  But at some point I gave up hope of really understanding whatever it was that Nabakov wanted to accomplish here.  Hopefully he at least made himself smile and reminisce ...

No comments: