Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Practicing the Jhanas

On a recent retreat with Tina Rasmussen, I asked a question about the jhanas as I learned them from Leigh Brasington.  She basically replied that those weren't the jhanas at all, but just varying forms of access concentration -- hence the term "lite jhanas".  On returning home I looked back at Brasington's book, and was reminded that the whole second half is dedicated to arguing that the Buddha actually taught the something much closer to the 'lite' version.  Knowing that Rasmussen studied the 'heavy' jhanas of Pa Auk Sayadaw, I should have anticipated her response to my question.  In the end though, it doesn't much matter to me what the historical Buddha really taught or which is the authentic jhana -- what matters to me is how I can use these techniques in my practice.  So, even though I found Brasington's scholarly argument to be fairly convincing, I thought I would keep an open mind and read about Rasmussen's version of the jhanas.

The book, co-written with her husband Stephen Snyder, is a detailed practice guide for those looking to enter the states that the traditional Theravadan orthodoxy of the Visuddhimagga calls the jhanas.  It's clearly and plainly written and straightforward to follow.  Which doesn't mean that it's easy to follow.  The instructions are aimed mainly at monastics and people on months long retreats. These are the only folks likely to sustain the almost superhuman concentration these states require.  For a mere mortal like myself, the only relevant chapter was the one that describes the techniques and landmarks that come well before entering the first jhana. I've occasionally focused on my breath pretty consistently and even seen a nimitta now and then.  Apparently I would need to stabilize this, "energize" it, and merge it with my perception of the breath at the nose in order to approach the first jhana.  Maybe someday.  For now, this whole sequence, as well as all the elaborate jhana instructions that follow are quite simply above my pay grade.  

No comments: