Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Super brilliant with a cherry on top

If I were much much smarter than I am, and a better writer to boot, I could with some legitimacy complain that he took the words right out of my mouth:

As, um, a proponent of root-and-branch reform, these are the questions that keep me up at night. For the record, I think we will end up with root-and-branch reform, but I fear we'll get it hard and painful following a much more serious crisis that we have already failed to avert. I think the Great Financial "Panic" of 2008 has shrunk into another LTCM or Enron, a moment we will someday look back upon and wonder why we failed to deal with problems that were so fucking obvious, but for now all we hear is "It worked!" I'm a middle-aged Jewish guy who thinks and writes about finance, makes much of his living as a speculator, and avoids honest work. The tail risk I worry about is that I'll get to see the sort of financial reform I advocate from a wonderful vantage high atop a lamppost.

And here's another random quote, just for good measure.
 It is impossible to design a system so perfect that no one needs to be good. 
--T. S. Eliot


No comments: